Friday, January 8, 2010

Homemade Marshmallow Update



After making all those gorgeous candy cane covered peppermint marshmallows for Christmas, M-dog and I were shocked to find that the candy cane topping melted and got funky a few days later. Boo! The marshmallows still tasted great, but lost serious appearance points. I put my thinking cap on and after a few discussions with people I've hypothesized that the candy cane melt down was likely due to all the moisture from the ridiculous amount of peppermint syrup we added. The original marshmallow recipe called for a teaspoon of vanilla extract. We nixed that and added like 1/3 cup of Torrani peppermint syrup. Given the volume difference and the fact that the syrup wasn't an alcohol based extract, I figure all the moisture resulted from the syrup and caused the candy canes to sweat whilst in their air tight containers for storage. So for folks wanting to try the candy cane bit at home, I suggest either sticking to the original marshmallow recipe, or try using a peppermint extract instead.

No comments: