Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kitchen Remodel

Here are the photos of the first day of our kitchen remodel. The handyman and electrician came by to scoff at all the mistakes the folk who built the place made. They were also very nice about removing the doors to our refrigerator and moving it into the dining room so Marc won't starve while I'm on vacation next week. However, I think having the fridge turned off for an hour is why the thing is a tad stinky now when you open the door. We'll be spraying some bleach in there before putting everything back where it belongs. The sink was chucked and the stove is being "hidden" in our backyard. Tomorrow starts the actual demolition and I expect those photos to be pretty boring b/c anything worth photographing will have all been removed. It will likely freak me out upon entering my kitchen though. It threw me for a bit of a tizzy walking into the photographed one. We've lived here for a year and I didn't realize just how much you expected a room to be a certain way when you walked in. Bananas!







Our first place out to dinner due to kitchen remodel was a new joint near the southside: Taqueria Pico De Gallo It was a simple little restaurant with a nice staff and outstanding horchata. The fish tacos were really delicious and you were given the choice of freshly made flour or corn tortillas. The corn tortillas were something special- very light and fluffy. I wish I liked the taste of corn tortillas more b/c the texture was awesome. The pico was loaded with really fresh jalapenos so unfortunately I could only have one fish taco, but it was tasty and worth it. Next time I'll try to order my tacos without pico, even though I fear they'll look at me like I'm a freak and possibly kick me out of the restaurant, lol. Although I didn't order it, the flan is supposed to rock as well.

Breakfast yesterday was Starbucks and I have to say that the change in recipes has genuinely improved their pastries. I ordered my favorite cream cheese danish and was a little sad to see they've 86'd the tasty frosting on it. I was pretty annoyed until I tasted the danish- it was really delicious regardless of frosting placement. I'm excited to try their other pastries when I go on vacation tomorrow. Also, the croissants and danishes at Rincon Market (6th St and Tucson) just rock my world and I'm going to make them today's breakfast :)

No comments: