Tuesday, February 17, 2009

F'ing Chemical Inventory


Since I'm waiting on Taq to start trying to amplify DNA of dog genotypes of Giardia lamblia via PCR, I have to keep myself busy in the lab. Going over the chemical inventory log (which hasn't been touched in almost a decade) is a task left for days like these last three. I need to check that every chemical, in every nook and cranny in our three different lab rooms, has been written down with specifics. The oldest chemical I've found thus far was from 1958. After today I hate every stupid graduate student that never cleaned out their laboratory space before leaving. They just grab their degrees and take off, bastards. I'm left with unidentifiable labels on containers that probably have biohazardous material that I've magically got to find a way to properly dispose of. I have a whole pile of expired chemicals and solutions that I'll probably spend a day googling to figure out how to correctly get rid of them. These days pouring them down the sink can cause six legged chickens and eight eyed frogs, so environmentalists kinda frown on that. I realized a few minutes ago that I've probably got to go online and find/update all the MSDS's (Material Safety Data Sheets) for every single chemical we have. That will also likely take a whole day. I already want to put my eye out and I haven't moved to the other two lab rooms yet. Urgh and Fuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For this good work you may have this gift:
http://is.gd/kQsJ
Never say no one you never met didn't never give you nothing.