Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Actually Agree With Stephen King


For the first time in my life I am going to give Stephen King some props. I have harbored a hatred for the man I feel is rather untalented, due to his indirectly ruining writing for me my freshman year of college. I wish I could go back and delete the first chapter of my English TA's dissertation, too. Anywho... I'm reading the news this morning and I find an article titled "Stephen King says 'Twilight' author 'can't write'. I 100% agree with him and refuse to read her moralist Morman propaganda in the guise of a romantic vampire novel. She's manipulating young girls into believing young men are these romantic, spiritual, deep creatures and that sex before marriage is just bad bad bad. That's a fucking lie and I'm tired of how from day one young girls are lead to believe that they'll meet Prince Charming and they'll live happily ever after (almost every Disney movie, anyone?). Life doesn't work that way and men, both teenage guys and the adults they grow into, should be appreciated for the bizarre creatures they are instead of what girls have been brainwashed to believe they should be.

Okay, its too early for anymore of my ranting on that subject. Here's the rest of what Mr. King had to say: “Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people… The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.” “People are attracted by the stories, by the pace, and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it’s not particularly threatening because it’s not overtly sexual.” “A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like, the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet.”

No comments: